- Mark is a senior communications practitioner with extensive experience gained in corporate in-house, consultancy and interim roles.
- He specialises in M&A and change situations, having led communications workstreams on numerous domestic and cross-border transactions.
- Sector agnostic, Mark’s experience spans healthcare, energy, chemicals, industrials, technology, manufacturing, logistics, financial services and private equity.
- Mark created and built a successful M&A stakeholder engagement practice in his 15 years at a major global communications firm.
- In his last corporate role, he led communications for the acquisition of a FTSE250 global speciality chemicals company at a record valuation, successfully stabilising the business, retaining customers and key talent through integration, and ensuring rapid transition to a new business model.
- Beyond M&A, Mark’s skills have been employed to support reputation risk management, culture change, restructuring, collaboration & knowledge sharing, corporate brand roll-out, lobbying for industry & regulatory change.
Mark has deep expertise at developing communication programmes designed to minimise uncertainty and maximise momentum during M&A integration. He brings a ‘customer first’ approach to the change agenda, ensuring that leadership is seen to be visible, accessible and responsive throughout the transaction process.
- Communications planning to maximise audience engagement at all stages of the transaction lifecycle
- Alignment of leadership and senior management teams on clear & consistent communication
- Stakeholder mapping & cultural due diligence
- Narrative and messaging development
- Deployment of high impact, interactive digital channels
- Workshop facilitation to build common values and promote collaboration
- Branded campaigns & content creation to maximise internal engagement
- Sentiment tracking and perception audits to evaluate communications effectiveness
- Media strategy and stakeholder engagement to foster external support
- Post-merger rebranding & roll-out and vision & values alignment.
- Demerger of Mondi Group – Reporting to Group HR Director, led successful campaign to enthuse 30,000 employees and maintain customer confidence during the demerger of this £5bn global packaging & paper group from Anglo American.
- Smith & Nephew $900m acquisition of Plus Orthopedics – Led award-winning employee campaign to gain rapid staff buy-in to the integration agenda and overcome cultural differences. Achieved notable early successes in collaboration initiatives and prevented talent leakage.
- Alent plc £1.35bn acquisition by Platform Specialty Products – As Communications Director, led communications for the integration of this global specialty chemicals business by a US buyer, helping to protect the customer franchise through rapid alignment of sales & technical teams, and retain key talent.
- £2bn carve-out of WorldPay from RBS Group – Led all internal communications for this global payments leader, winning staff buy-in to the new vision, diffused concerns over pensions changes and restructuring, and created compelling employer brand proposition.
- Lafarge Tarmac joint venture – Aligned leadership team on shared vision; developed corporate brand framework to set the culture and orientate employees around the combined business strategy, prior to regulatory approval.
- Maersk €2.3b merger with P&O Nedlloyd – successful campaign to win over sceptical stakeholders on a politically charged transaction. Secured decisive shareholder approval, achieved high levels of internal engagement, and won media plaudits for transparency.
- Henkel global HR transformation – Led communications to support the global realignment of HR & Admin functions into a shared service centre model as part of broader corporate strategy to drive performance improvement and cost efficiency.
- Business & Professional Services
- Chemicals & Materials
- Consumer Products Supply
- Consumer Retail
- Financial Services
- Government & Public Services
- Industrial Electronics
- Industrial Manufacturing
- Internet & E-Commerce
- Media & Marketing
- Oil & Gas
- Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Technology Hardware
- Integration Due Diligence
- Integration Management Office
- Day 1 & 100 Day Planning
- Work Stream Management
- Culture, Change & Communication
- Joint Ventures
- Carve-out Management Office
- Carve-out Day 1 Planning
- Work Stream Management
- Retention, Change & Communication
- In-house Capability
- Pre- & Post-implementation Reviews